The Knotted Line is an interactive, tactile laboratory for exploring the historical relationship between freedom and confinement in the geographic area of the United States. With miniature paintings of over 50 historical moments from 1495-2025, The Knotted Line asks: how is freedom measured? Just as importantly, The Knotted Line imagines a new world through the work of grassroots movements for self-determination.
- Evan Bissell - Director and Painting
- Tanya Orellana - Research
- Lisa Nowlain - Research
- Josh Begley - Additional Concept Design
Content management by Scalar, a project of the Alliance for Networking Visual Culture
The Knotted Line has been made possible through the generous support of:
- Panta Rhea Foundation
- East Bay Community Foundation
- United States Artists Projects
- Numerous individual donors
The Knotted Line is produced by Radical Imagination, a member of the Intersection Incubator program at Intersection for the Arts.